Firefox target

Please post only reviews in this section. For all other discussions use the "Cycle models and brands" section. It would be necessary to back up any claims made in this section with logical/ scientific/ pictorial proof. If you think any posts should be moved to this section, inform Abhi.
Forum rules
Read the Product Review Posting Guidelines before posting.

Firefox target

Postby Abiananth » April 14th, 2009, 9:18 pm

I got myself a Firefox Target around two months back. The cycle is my first bike after a long hiatus after school days and feels OK for a beginner. Initially for around a week or so, I used the bike to commute to my badminton court, which is about 2 km from my home. After that, I have been commuting to office from Banashankari 3rd stage to EGL complex at Koramangala, Bangalore, which is around 16.5 km one way. Therefore, the daily cycling distance is 33 km and I do this at least four days a week, which works out to 132 km per week. Add another 40 km over the weekend and it adds up to 170 km per week.

Pros:
1. Light weight – weighs less than 12 kg so the effort is far lesser.
2. Manoeuvring ease
3. Good paint job – good looks.

Cons:
1. Build quality – I am not sure how they design bikes at FF. I weigh around 90 kg and the cycle already has a cracked peddle and has a “click” noise on the left peddle when I exert pressure. Perhaps a lighter person would have enjoyed it more.
2. Gears – though mostly it is OK, the shift from second to third and back has been an issue. The chain keeps slipping off and once I had a terrible experience when I was close to office. My hands were dirty from putting the chain back on.

Overall feel – I am probably more critical of bikes now than earlier with a bit more exposure now. I feel that I picked up a wrong frame size. I am 5’ 6” and broad built with shorter arm size. The dealer (FF Station, above Classic Automotive, fifth block Jayanagar, Bangalore) is not one of the best when it comes to technical expertise or even for that matter, customer service. They were more intent on selling whatever they had and there was absolutely no advice following questions one would expect.

When I wanted to add accessories like mud flaps and a carrier, they just put them in without asking if I would use it regularly and that they add to weight. Further, I changed the seat from the original to a Hero Octane’s but it has not solved my problem of soreness in my bums fully while also reducing my cycling experience due to the creaky noise the seat makes. I have ended up paying Rs.12k for the bike and around Rs.3000 so far in accessories.

Therefore, I have a bike that is not bad, but not great either. I will probably sell it shortly and pick up a bike that is more suited to my size and one that can take the amount of pressure I exert on it.
Abiananth
-
-

Re: Firefox target

Postby anoopsa » April 15th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Hello Abiananth,

I been using a target for the past one month and , today i did a 40km ride .I came back with a creaking left peddle.I also noticed while i try to rotate the left paddle it does not move freely as the right one.Is that a cause of bad ball bearings, I do not know.I have applied oil, just in case.Need to try out tomorrow and see.

Anoop
"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"-Lance Armstrong
anoopsa
-
-

Postby rajiv narayan » April 15th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Ive faced this on my FF Dart 2.6 also.. the left peddle does not move freely and broke.. had a new one fixed at a local cycle wallah at 40 bucks and it works well now..
rajiv narayan
-
-

Postby mmysore » April 23rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

Hi Abiananth,
Nice review... I bought the same bike from the same place early last december... agree with you on the customer service and the bike knowledge of the folks at the shop. The technician (the guy who actually installed the bike) impressed me though. I did not buy a bike that was already assembled. I asked them for a new piece and made them install it for me. The mechanic did a thorough job of testing the bike out during and post the installation. You're right, the sales guy just tried to sell what he had and quoted prices from a hat!!! I had to bargain and bring the price down every time... however, i still feel he made his margins!!!
The bike itself... i love it... no problems so far. However, I dont use the bike as much as you guys do... I'm more of a runner and biking is cross training for me... I average around 150Km a month. The ride is pretty smooth on roads and found it sturdy on offroads/trails as well. I'm 5-7 and 64Kgs... a bit lighter, so no broken pedals or any other parts yet!!!!
On the saddle, I bought the Gel topping for it... it does seem comfortable... no problems on the butt. I also ensure I get off the seat every 5-10 minutes when riding it continuously for over 1hr or so.
Happy riding,

Manju
mmysore
-
-

Postby anoopsa » April 24th, 2009, 8:00 am

Hello Abiananth and Manju,

I bought the bike from BOTS, and I went last Saturday to BOTS and Nikhil did a pretty good job in fixing the left pedal issue.He uninstalled both pedals and cranks and installed it back, took a test drive, it looks its holding up.I am yet to do a long ride, which I will be doing next week.

Anoop
"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"-Lance Armstrong
anoopsa
-
-

Postby mmysore » April 24th, 2009, 10:09 am

Thanks Anoop,
I'm sure BOTS did a nice job helping you fix your bike.... They are bike lovers and also passionate about it. I've not visited BOTS... do plan to do it sometime just to meet and stay in touch with them.
enjoy your long ride,
Manju
mmysore
-
-

Postby p_jayadeep » April 24th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I also bought a target from BOTS 3 months back and has been happy with their email support, couldn't get back to them yet for a tuneup because of various reasons. But mileage also is pretty low and mainly for XT for running and a 4K commute. One problem that I felt was that the seat post is a low for my height(5'10") at the lowermost point, my knee is bent more than necessary I feel. Otherwise things are pretty ok for my kind of riding.

But Abianath rightly pointed out, I have far better idea about bikes than before and hopefully knows all parameters before buying another one for myself - mostly a hybrid with all commuting accessories.

Jayadeep
p_jayadeep
-
-

Postby AshTheDash » May 2nd, 2009, 12:05 pm

p_jayadeep wrote:But Abianath rightly pointed out, I have far better idea about bikes than before and hopefully knows all parameters before buying another one for myself - mostly a hybrid with all commuting accessories.

Jayadeep

Jayadeep, what bike would you buy if now given a chance?

If you can list some options with various price ranges than it can help us all who are still looking for advise from you all and want to buy bikes.

5K-7.5K -
7.5K-10K -
10K-12K -
12K-15K -
Ash...
....Two Wheels and my Camera...I can be on my way...
AshTheDash
-
-

Postby rohan_kini » May 3rd, 2009, 7:58 pm

the target is an interesting bike. The new Targets seem to need some routine work on it
- the Bottom bracket needs to be tightened after 2 weeks of riding.
- the pedals are crap and will crack if you are slightly heavier on the pedals (but this we have noticed on cheaper bikes in other brands too. Better to upgrade to alloy pedals)
- the suspension is not the greatest and if not taken care of (left in the rain, not cleaned up after dusty rides, usage of WD40 etc)

I still own a target (albeit with a ton of components that normally come on higher end bikes).
I really like the frame thats on the Target and love the lightness of the bike.

and thanks for saying all nice things about BOTS ;)
rohan_kini
-
-

Postby AshTheDash » May 7th, 2009, 1:19 am

rohan_kini wrote:the target is an interesting bike. The new Targets seem to need some routine work on it
- the Bottom bracket needs to be tightened after 2 weeks of riding.
- the pedals are crap and will crack if you are slightly heavier on the pedals (but this we have noticed on cheaper bikes in other brands too. Better to upgrade to alloy pedals)
- the suspension is not the greatest and if not taken care of (left in the rain, not cleaned up after dusty rides, usage of WD40 etc)

I still own a target (albeit with a ton of components that normally come on higher end bikes).
I really like the frame thats on the Target and love the lightness of the bike.

and thanks for saying all nice things about BOTS ;)

Rohan,

Thanks for this input.

1. Can you please let me know for how long are you riding the Target?
2. Do you still recommend that I consider the Target over the 3700 and do the changes to the pedals etc (all crap quality stuff) or simply buy the 3700?
3. Can you please provide a list of all the Add-Ons on you Target? How much did you spend in all on the same?

About the suspension, are you saying that its not advisable to use the WD 40 on the bike all? better to keep it clean than use the spray??
Ash...
....Two Wheels and my Camera...I can be on my way...
AshTheDash
-
-

Next

Return to Cycle reviews